Popis:The documentary color film footage by an unknown filmmaker shows social events and urban developments in Dresden in 1959. The hustle and bustle in the harbor of the Weißen Flotte (White Fleet) below the Brühlsche Terrasse is followed as well as the open-air opening of the exhibition "Der Menschheit bewahrt" (Preserved for Mankind) in the Albertinum on May 8, 1959. The exhibition presented art treasures (e.g. of the Green Vault) that had previously been returned to the GDR by the Soviet Union. Also captured are parachute jumps by the Society for Sport and Technology (GST) on the Güntzwiese, a helicopter landing near the Altmarkt, and a terrier show on the Johannstädter Ufer. In the background, there are sometimes views of remnants of the historic buildings (e.g. Reformed Church), which were later removed. In the Striesen district, new residential buildings and shopping arcades (Comeniusstrasse, Borsbergstrasse) are documented in detail as they were completed in 1959.
This film was digitized as part of the model project "Sicherung des audiovisuellen Erbes in Sachsen" (Securing Audiovisual Heritage in Saxony) of the Film Association of Saxony (2018) in cooperation with: Hirsch Film Filmproduktion, Sächsische Landesbibliothek - Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek, funded by: Saxon State Ministry for Science and Art.